A warm welcome to all Gold Coast Dragons member’s past and present.
I am humbled and honoured in taking on the position of President for the Gold Coast Dragons, and I would like to take this opportunity in thanking everyone for their trust and support towards my appointment, and I am determined to do everything in my power to ensure this club remains loyal, cohesive and competitive, and continues to develop and grow towards future success.
I would like to recognise the efforts of the outgoing committee and the previous committees before them, for the tireless work they have had to endure in keeping this great club moving forward and achieving club goals and expectations through times that can be somewhat difficult. While the committees have a responsibility in maintaining efficient and effective club operations, it is the members that have been instrumental towards making this club what it is today, what it has been in the past, and what it will look like in the future.
It has been a challenging start to the season and I would like to reassure you that the committee is working hard with DBQ and the State Health system to get our sport underway and get everyone back out on the water competing again and doing it safely.
Some of the initiatives we will be looking at as a committee/club this year;
- Improve club operating procedures to ensure there is a well-structured timeline of events for committees/coaches when it comes to planning and organising club formal meetings, events and activities.
- Facility and asset register improvements in order to identify, itemise and control necessary asset, maintenance and security equipment in order to create efficient club operations.
- Implement access and use of equipment procedures so that club members may enjoy the use of club facilities.
- Proactively seek available grants to assist in club running costs and improve technology towards security and safety of club assets and members. Ensure the club remains in a strong financial position, ensure utility safety nets and contingencies are put in place for future crisis.
- Improve communication between local affiliates in order to become involved in community fundraising ideas and events.
- Maintain motivation and creativeness towards arranging and conducting challenging and interesting events for members until the season gets underway.
- Provide safe, optimal, well-structured training and development methods to members during on-water training, club events and physical fitness goals throughout the season.
- Strive towards retaining and recruiting members for the current and future seasons to ensure club sustainability and growth are maintained.
These are just some of the initiatives we will continue to keep working on to ensure the club remains operational, active and motivated throughout these unknown times.
I would like to comment on the commitment, motivation and enthusiasm that has been displayed so far from everyone, it has been exceptional and with what we having been seeing, I hope we get to race this season in as we are definitely showing signs of a formidable club.
I would also like to give a warm welcome to all of our new paddlers, and for anyone else that has been thinking of giving it a go, you are most welcome to come down and jump in the boat for a few sessions with the support and guidance of our coaches. It’s fun and a great way to get fit.
So to all, stay loyal and support your teammates and club, get involved as much as you can to ensure that this great club keeps moving forward in leaps and bounds and we create a safe, enjoyable sporting experience for everyone.
Take care, yours in paddling,
Graham “Hoggy” Hogno
Gold Coast Dragons President